Plymouth Blockhouse, Eastern Kings Point

Has been described as a Certain Artillery Fort

There are masonry footings remains

NamePlymouth Blockhouse, Eastern Kings Point
Alternative NamesMillbay West
Historic CountryDevonshire
Modern AuthorityPlymouth; City of
1974 AuthorityDevon
Civil ParishPlymouth

The Millbay West (or Eastern King) Blockhouse is thought to be early C16, and is first depicted on a map of 1540. It was partly demolished in 1868. It is situated just above high water mark at the SW corner of Millbay. Only the NE corner remains to a height of 2m, the rest having been demolished. (PastScape–ref. Pye and Woodward)

Not scheduled

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSX467536
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Duffy, Michael, 1999, 'Coastal Defences and Garrisons 1480-1914' in Kain, R. and Ravenhill, W., Historical Atlas of South-West England (University of Exeter Press) p. 158-60
  • Pye, Andrew and Woodward, Freddy, 1996, The historic defences of Plymouth (Exeter: Exeter Archaeology Fortress Study Group South West) p. 127
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 1 p. 120
  • Bracken, 1931, History of Plymouth (Plymouth) p. 68
  • Lysons, D. and S., 1822, Magna Britannia Vol. 6 Devon p. 398-9 online transcription


  • Worth, 1883, Journal British Archaeological Association Vol. 39 p. 40 (may apply)

Primary Sources