Has been described as a Certain Fortified Manor House
There are masonry footings remains
|Alternative Names||Eshot; Escott; castrum de Eshete; Essetete
Eshott Castle fortified house survives well and is a rare survival of this form of medieval settlement in Northumberland. It is well documented and will add to our knowledge and understanding of the wide variety of medieval fortified structures.
The monument includes the remains of a moated fortified house of medieval date, situated at the confluence of Longdike Burn and Eshott Burn. It is visible as a sub-rectangular enclosure measuring approximately 55m east to west by 44m north to south. The enclosure is surrounded by a moat with an approximate width of 6m, which is visible as a slight earthwork on the north and west sides and a well-defined earthwork on its east and south sides. The south side retains the remains of a causewayed entrance. Within the interior of the enclosure there are the remains of low earthworks. On July 22nd 1310 the king granted a licence to Roger Mauduit to crenellate his dwelling house at Eshott. In 1358 the castle was granted to his son and in 1415 the owner was recorded as Sir John Heroun when it was listed as 'Castrum de Eshete'. (Scheduling Report)
Listed in the 1415 Survey as 'CASTRUM de ESHETE' (Not mentioned in the 1541 survey) (Bates 1891).
On July 22nd 1310, the king granted a licence to ROGER MAUDUIT to crenellate his dwelling house at ESHOT. In 1358 there is record of the granting of the Castle to ROGER MAUDUIT the son. In 1415, the owner was Sir JOHN HEROUN, Knight (Hodgson 1904).
The remains of the castle are situated on low lying ground near the confluence of two streams which run to the north and east. The remains are those of a moated site, the ditch being fed by a channel from the west. The enclosed area appears to have been surrounded by a curtain wall and there are traces of what seem to have been three angle towers. No trace remains of any building within the enclosure which appears to have been entered by a causeway across the ditch to the south
To the SE disturbed ground may indicate occupation outside the enclosure (F1 EG 24-JAN-57). (PastScape)
This site is a scheduled monument protected by law
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
|OS Map Grid Reference||NZ199986