Kyloe Tower

Has been described as a Certain Pele Tower

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains

NameKyloe Tower
Alternative NamesEast Kyloe; Kylay; Kilo
Historic CountryNorthumberland
Modern AuthorityNorthumberland
1974 AuthorityNorthumberland
Civil ParishKyloe

Kyloe tower house is well preserved and retains significant archaeological deposits. It will contribute to any study of medieval settlement in the region. The monument includes the ruins of a late 14th or early 15th century medieval tower house situated on rising ground with extensive views northward towards the Northumberland coast. It is now part of a complex of farm buildings and its open views are obscured by trees to the north and east. The tower is rectangular in shape and measures 10m by 11.7m externally with walls of ashlar blocks about 2.5m thick. The tower stands to first floor level, marked by a chamfered plinth and chamfered set-back with walls 4.5m high. The original entrance to the ground floor lies at the west end of the south wall. It is now concealed externally by 19th century farm buildings. There is a single window loop in the east and west walls at ground floor level, but the eastern window loop has been enlarged to create an opening for access to the interior which is covered by a barrel vault. Internally, there is evidence of a possible loft structure at the springing of the vault, with the corbels which supported the wooden beams visible on the interior of the north and south walls. Access to the upper floors was by means of a newel stair in the south west corner entered through a small lobby. The south wall of the stair is the only part to stand above first floor level and has two square-headed window loops. The tower, which is Listed Grade II, is first mentioned in documents around 1450, was described as in good repair in 1560 and still inhabited in 1633. (Scheduling Report)

The tower is first mentioned circa 1450 and in 1560 is described as in good repair. It was still inhabited in 1633, but has since fallen into decay. In its original form, it consisted of a square tower standing in the N.W

corner of a small courtyard, the outline of which, to the east and south, may still be traced, although obscured by modern farm buildings. (PastScape ref. Bates)

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceNU059397
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Dodds, John F., 1999, Bastions and Belligerents (Newcastle upon Tyne: Keepdate Publishing) p. 58-9
  • Salter, Mike, 1997, The Castles and Tower Houses of Northumberland (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 72
  • Pettifer, A., 1995, English Castles, A guide by counties (Woodbridge: Boydell Press) p. 200 (slight)
  • Pevsner, N., 1992 (revised by Grundy, John et al), Buildings of England: Northumberland (London, Penguin) p. 370
  • Rowland, T.H., 1987 (reprint1994), Medieval Castles, Towers, Peles and Bastles of Northumberland (Sandhill Press) p. 23
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 2 p. 336
  • Graham, Frank, 1976, The Castles of Northumberland (Newcastle-upon-Tyne: Frank Graham) p. 223
  • Long, B., 1967, Castles of Northumberland (Newcastle-upon-Tyne) p. 129-130
  • Hugill, R.,1939, Borderland Castles and Peles (1970 Reprint by Frank Graham) p. 142-3
  • Harvey, Alfred, 1911, Castles and Walled Towns of England (London: Methuen and Co)
  • Bates, C.J., 1891, Border Holds of Northumberland (London and Newcastle: Andrew Reid) p. 19 (Also published as the whole of volume 14 (series 2) of Archaeologia Aeliana view online)
  • Raine, J., 1852, History and Antiquities of North Durham (London) p. 194-5


  • Craw, 1923-5, 'Reports of meetings for 1925' History of the Berwickshire Naturalist Club Vol. 25 p. 367-8 online copy
  • Hodgson, J.C., 1916, 'List of Ruined Towers, Chapels, etc., in Northumberland; compiled about 1715 by John Warburton, Somerset Herald, aided by John Horsley' Archaeologia Aeliana (ser3) Vol. 13 p. 9 abridged transcription
  • Bates, C.J., 1891, 'Border Holds of Northumberland' Archaeologia Aeliana (ser2) Vol. 14 p. 19 online copy

Primary Sources


  • Kent, C.L., 2016, Beyond the defensible threshold: the house-building culture of Berwick-upon-Tweed and the East March, 1550-1603 (PhD Thesis, Durham University) online copy