Has been described as a Certain Pele Tower
There are no visible remains
|Alternative Names||Berryngton; Turris Rob'ti Maners in Beryngton
This was the site of Berrington Old Hall. This was first recorded as a tower in 1415, but was probably in ruins by 1542. There are no visible remains of a tower at Berrington. In C19 it was suggested that an outbuilding dating to 1698 that stood at the site may have been the remains of a later manor house. There are no remains to be seen here now. (Keys to the Past)
A tower at Berrington is listed in the 15th century (Hodgson 1820).
It was in decay in 1542 (Raine 1852).
There are no visible remains of a tower at Berrington. Part of an outbuilding dated 1698, however, constitutes the remains of a 'mansion' which traditionally stood at NU 00794328. The site (now occupied by cottages) is elevated, and a substantial 17th century house may well have superseded the tower (F1 BHP 30-OCT-1968).
Plan of 1790 of Edward Clavering's estate at Berrington shows the old and new Berrington Hall. Old Berrington hall is shown with pleasure grounds. A line of buildings is shown to the east of the Old Hall in the position of the cottages mentioned (Pers Comm, D Napier (Traditional Architecture Group), 14-Aug-1995)
Tithe Map of 1848 shows Berrington Hall (New House) and Old Hall to the south (Tithe Award Map of 1848).
On the 1st edition OS (1860) the site of the Old Hall is now called North Berrington. The gardens are still intact. (Northumberland HER)
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
|OS Map Grid Reference||NU007432