White Hall Farmhouse
Has been described as a Possible Bastle
There are masonry ruins/remnants remains
|Name||White Hall Farmhouse
|Alternative Names||Western House
House, dated 1755 (with initials TMI) on door lintel, incorporating earlier bastle fabric. Rubble with long roughly-shaped quoins and cut dressings; Scottish slate roof. 2 storeys, 3 bays, slightly irregular. Right-of-centre 4-panel door in chamfered surround with dated lintel, 8-pane fixed casement over; paired 8-pane (lower) and 6-pane (upper) casements in flanking bays; all windows in chamfered surrounds, those in end bays formerly of 2 lights. 2 tiers of blocked pigeon holes to left of window above door. Coped left gable with stack rebuilt in brick on older stone base; rendered right end stack. Adjacent later house to right altered and not of interest.
Interior: during recent alterations gable-headed byre door of bastle exposed in east wall, now concealed. (Listed Building Report)
Solitary form bastle. Byre entrance in gable end. Present state - house (Ryder 1990).
White Hall Farmhouse is an altered bastle. The original part of the house measures 10.9m by 6m externally, with end walls of heavy rubble with roughly shaped quoins; the side walls, only c.0.65m thick, were probably rebuilt in 1755, the date on the lintel of the present south door (a square headed opening with a chamfered surround; the date is accompanied by the initials M over T I). Above the door is a chamfered single-light window; the bays to either side have had two-light mullioned windows (with narrow chamfered surrounds) on each floor; the mullions have been removed and the sills of the lower windows lowered, perhaps in the 19th century. There are a series of (blocked) pigeon holes set below the eaves. The west gable has a blocked slit set centrally and a (later?) blocked window at attic level. The east end of the house is adjoined by an 18th century house. During renovations before 1984 a central doorway is reported to have been uncovered in the east end wall, with a triangular arched head. There is a later outshut at the rear of the house (Ryder 1994-5)
This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law
Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
|OS Map Grid Reference||NY916546