Harehaugh Old Farm
Has been described as a Certain Bastle, and also as a Certain Pele Tower
There are masonry ruins/remnants remains
|Name||Harehaugh Old Farm
|Alternative Names||Harecleugh; Hareclough; Hare Cewgh; hare clewgh
House. Early C17. Roughly-coursed stone. Roofless. 2 storeys. Scattered fenestration: 3 bays. Tudor-arched doorway to right in multi-moulded square- headed surround. Left of the door a small square double-chamfered window. Left of this, a 2-light window now lost mullion and with casement, under hoodmould. To left a door, formerly a one-light double-chamfered window under hoodmould.
On the 1st floor 3 sash windows. Ruinous at time of survey and interior filled with rubble of collapsed roof making inspection impossible. (Listed Building Report)
Harehaugh - The border commissioners of 1541 reported that:-
"At a place called the hareclewgh one Rog' Hangingshawes hath lately buylded upon his owne Inhyerytance a strong pele house of stone in a convenyent place for resystence of the Incourse of theves of Ryddesdayle, and he ys not able in defaulte of substance to p'forme and fynyshe the same" (Bates 1891).
D D Dixon suggested (Dixon 1903) that this unfinished tower was Woodhouses pele, (NT 90 SE 2) but there seems to be no ground for the identification beyond the fact that Woodhouses is not mentioned in 1541, and that there is now no trace of the tower at Harehaugh or Harecleugh. It seems more probable that the tower was never finished and that all trace of it has disappeared (Dodds 1940).
NY 97339989. The old farmhouse of Harehaugh, now used as an outbuilding, is a substantial structure of two storeys, measuring 16.5m x 6.0m, whichfrom two doorways in the E front is of late 16th early 17th century date. Its N wall now an internal division, is 1.7.m thick and its E wall is 1.0m thick
The thickness of the other walls could not be determined.
It seems probable that the remains of the unfinished 'Hareclewgh' pele of 1541 were incorporated in this later Tudor building (F1 DS 26-FEB-71).
The pele tower, unfinished in 1541, was never completed and was later converted into a small house which is now a ruin in the farmyard at Harecleugh (Dodds 1999). (PastScape)
This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law
Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
|OS Map Grid Reference||NY973998