Has been described as a Possible Timber Castle (Motte)
There are earthwork remains
The site of Titlington Hall is a nearly level piece of ground on a saddle between Titlington and Jennys Lantern Hill. Here there seems to have stood a small motte and bailey a short distance S of the present mansion with the front lawn on the site of the bailey. At some date in the middle ages the motte was lowered and a pele tower erected; its enclosure extended North eastwards c 75 yards where the traditional site of the gateway is marked by a small mound and hawthorn tree. In 1745 Roger Pearson either cleared away or altered the pele and built a house whose surviving trace is the date 1745 cut at the W corner of the (present) building (Dodds 1940).
NU 09871509. A little to the south of Titlington Hall is a tree-planted mound 15.0m in diameter and 1.2m high. This appears to be the remains of the 'motte' and site of the tower. There are no visible traces of the bailey or of the mound and hawthorn tree making the traditional site of the gateway. The ground in the vicinity of the mound is uneven but there are no definite traces of building steadings.
There are no traces of antiquity in any of the existing buildings.
The date stone is as in Dodds and just above it is another stating that the building was rebuilt in 1824. (F1 EG 14-FEB-58 )
The mound does not look as if it were ever a motte. It would, however, support a tower, and it seems likely that the whole was never more that a pele and barmkin (F2 RE 14-APR-70).
Site of motte and bailey built by Walter Espec in the late 12th or early 13th century. At some time before 1415 a small tower was built on the site of the motte. The tower was described as fortified and decayed in 1553. The site of the tower was cleared in 1745, that in turn being replaced by the present country house in 1821 (Dodds 1999; King 1983). (PastScape)
Documents written in 1541 mention a ruined tower at Titlington
There is no sign of a medieval motte and bailey at Titlington Hall today, although a mound in the garden is traditionally thought to have been the site of the motte. It is more certain that a pele tower stood on the site. The pele tower was either completely demolished or incorporated into a new house in 1745. In 1824, the 1745 building was demolished and replaced. (Keys to the Past)
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
|OS Map Grid Reference||NU098150