Has been described as a Certain Tower House
There are no visible remains
|Alternative Names||Shawden Castle
The tower at Shawdon is mentioned in 1403, but in a list of 1460 (Hodgson) (Bates and M.H. Dodds give this date as 1415) it is referred to as a 'Castrum". A survey of 1542 refers to it as a tower in good repair (Dodds 1935).
Shawdon now stands on the level ground above the right (SW) bank of the Shawdon Burn dene. Here once no doubt stood the "mediaeval town" with the owners's little tower. Of all this no trace now remains except some fragments of carved stonework preserved in the rockeries in the grounds. In 1799 William Hargrave made a clean sweep of the area, building the present hall (NU 09261432) and laying out the extensive grounds.
There are no traces of the tower or mediaeval village to be seen in the vicinity of Shawdon Hall. The present building stands on a
slight rise, commanding a good view, and was possibly erected on the site of the tower. The fragments of stonework referred to are situated at NU 09341427. They include a corbel carved with a face; fragment of octagonal pillar; a stone, possibly a pediment of a gateway with a face carved on one side and a weathered plaque on the other, and a shallow octagonal trough - possibly from a fountain (?F1 EG 14-FEB-1955).
Country house, built in 1799, probably on the site of a deserted medieval settlement. A pele tower or bastle at Shawdon was recorded in a survey of 1403. No trace of the settlement or the tower survives. The house was altered in 1970. Listed Grade 2star (Listed Building Report).
A tower was built at Shawdon in the 14th century but was demolished in 1779 to make way for the present Shawdon Hall (King 1983; Dodds 1999). (PastScape)
This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law
Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
|OS Map Grid Reference||NU092143