Shilburnhaugh pele, Kielder Water
Has been described as a Possible Pele Tower
There are no visible remains
|Name||Shilburnhaugh pele, Kielder Water
|Alternative Names||Shilburn Haugh
Old building is mentioned in a survey made in about 1715. It was thought that this might have been a pele tower but no old remains have been found at the present farmhouse or its surroundings. A nearby hill is called Tower Knowe but no trace of a tower was seen here either. (Keys to the Past)
Pele at Shilburnhaugh (Hadcock 1939).
A survey of c1715 refers to "an old pile" at Shilburnhaugh (Hodgson 1916).
Situated in a narrow valley Shilburnhaugh is overlooked by higher ground from all directions and would have been a very poor defensive site. No evidence of antiquity is present in the farmhouse, its outbuildings or surrounding walls, and Mr Davidson the tenant farmer has no knowledge of a Pele at the place (F1 DAD 03-AUG-56).
The adjacent hill Tower Knowe was perambulated, but nothing to indicate the site of a Pele was seen (F1 FDC 21-AUG-56).
John Warburton noted an old pile at Shilburnhaugh belonging to one Robson. The site is now under Kielder Water (Dodds 1999). (PastScape)
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
|OS Map Grid Reference||NY693871