Portgate on the Wall
Has been described as a Questionable Pele Tower, and also as a Questionable Bastle
There are no visible remains
|Name||Portgate on the Wall
The Roman Wall passed north of Portgate at which there is a square tower still standing, but the ruins of old buildings referred to by Camden are probably those at Halton more than half a mile to the east. The tower is of much later date than Roman (Horsley 1732).
A survey of c.1715 refers to an 'ancient pile' at Portgate (Hodgson 1916).
Centred NY 9805682 The farm called Portgate lies south of Hadrian's Wall.
To the north and east of the farm buildings are traces of depopulation consisting of low banks dividing the area into crofts and two or three steadings of small rectangular buildings. The area may have extended to the south and south west where there has been much surface quarrying. The remains cover about six acres and are typical of deserted medieval villages in Northumberland.
It is considered probable that the tower stood within or near this area. The Border Surveys of 1415 and 1542 do not mention a tower at Portgate and it is possible that it was one of the Bastle type, many of which were erected in the late 16th century.
None of the existing farm buildings show any traces of antiquity. The farmhouse is 18th century (F1 EG 14-MAY-1956).
The township of Portgate was in the regality of Hexham. It does not appear in the 1296 Lay Subsidy, but may have existed then. The earliest reference to the hamlet is 1387. Three messuages were recorded there in 1640. Armstrong's map of 1769 showed only two buildings. It now comprises a farmstead and a cottage. Evidence for a village is mainly dependent on earthworks. The field north of the steading contains a block of at least three crofts aligned E-W, adjoining the Roman 'vallum' on the north, and with house platforms on the south side. A second row of tenements probably lies beneath the farmstead (Wrathmell 1975)
Portgate Tower. Recorded by Camden. Tower thought to be of a late date
No remains standing; site unknown (Long).
Medieval crofts are visible as earthworks on air photographs centred at NY 9811 6861. A series of boundary banks are visible forming crofts. Some boundaries are still extant on the latest 2000 oblique photography. (Northumberland HER)
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
|OS Map Grid Reference||NY980686