Weetwood Hall, Chatton
Has been described as a Certain Pele Tower
There are masonry ruins/remnants remains
|Name||Weetwood Hall, Chatton
Weetwood Hall was originally a fortified tower house, built as a defence against the Scots. It was first mentioned in 1541, though its earliest parts may date as early as C13 or C14. It was then extensively altered in C18. The earliest part of the building is L-shaped in plan and has thick walls. When the house was altered a second wing was added. (Keys to the Past)
(NU 01662973) In 1541 there was a small tower at Weetwood in good repair. It is mentioned in 1587, and is now part of Weetwood Hall (Dodds 1940; Bates 1891; Hodgson 1828).
Weetwood Hall, incorporating remains of a tower house or pele, stands upon a gentle SE slope, overlooking the River Till, 300m to the SE, and overlooked by high ground to the NW. The modern building, about mid 18th century, is built of well shaped, sandstone blocks, coursed, bonded and cemented and consists of a centre section, oblong, flanked by two gabled extensions of the same width. The centre part of the building is flat-roofed on the W side, but gabled longwise on the E face. The tower was incorporated into the modern building, except probably on the E side, where in the centre of the facade are two buttresses, in appearance of considerable age, reaching in three stages to the eaves, and built of coarsely shaped sandstone stones, with no bonding or coursing. Most of this side of the building has been covered with pebble dash and then whitewashed, so the structure of the stone work is obscured, but the presence of the buttresses suggest this section of the wall to be a part of the old tower. Mr Curry, owner, indicated to the Investigator, within the tower, the thickness (approx 1.5m) of two of the interior walls which are now E-W party walls and which are approximately on line with the exterior sides of the buttresses, on the E face. There is no other visible evidence of the remains of the tower, and Mr Curry has no further information to offer (F1 ASP 07-DEC-55)
House, late C18 and C19 but with medieval core, Ashlar with local slate roof. Two storeys, 7 bays 1 : 3 : 1 : 2. The right 2 bays are an early C19 addition. Bays one and 5 are projecting cross-gables; parapet in centre with roof set back behind. Centre section has door in plain later C19 porch; and sash windows in raised surrounds. Stilted-arched Venetian windows in cross-gabled bays. Chimneys crown gable ends. Heavily butressed, irregular rear elevation has sash windows and a single gable.
Interior shows thick walls of former tower house; early C19 staircase and woodwork. (Listed Building Report)
This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law
Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
|OS Map Grid Reference||NU016297