Chatton Earls Tower

Has been described as a Certain Pele Tower

There are no visible remains

NameChatton Earls Tower
Alternative NamesForsters Tower; Fowberyes Tower; Fowberry's Tower; Ederston, Grieve's Law
Historic CountryNorthumberland
Modern AuthorityNorthumberland
1974 AuthorityNorthumberland
Civil ParishChatton

In 1415 two towers are entered on the list of fortalices. (for the other, Vicar's Tower, see NU 02 NE 6) In the early 16th c the Earl's Tower is described as being capable of 80 men and inhabited by Thomas Revely. In 1541 it was described as being of the inheritance of Richard Fowberry. Garrisons of the tower are mentioned in 1542 and 1549, and in 1566 it is referred to as "Fowberyes Tower". In 1616 the tower was held by John Collingwood but it is not mentioned again and the site is unknown (Dodds 1935).

A survey of 1586 states that the tower is situated on the Lord's Waste of the town of Chatton (Bates 1891).

The site on a NE-SW ridge, is under pasture, and there are no traces of antiquity to be seen (F1 ASP 02-DEC-55). (PastScape)

'Chatton. Roger Fowberry gent. holdeth there a Tower builded on the Lord's Waste of the Towne aforesaid And Renteth by Yeare at the Termes aforesaid. (Noteā€“This Tower was builded by Lycence of ye Lord for a Strength to ye Towne there & now ye Inhertance thereof claymed by Roger Fowberry).' (Stockdale Survey, 1586; at Alnwick Castle. - quoted in Bates)

Gatehouse Comments

Bates transcription of the 1509 survey record the site as suitable for 60 men but this gives on a rough guide to the size of the tower. The form of the tower is lost but it was not a baronial residence of the Earl but a gentleman's residence let from the Earl, it is usually mentioned in association with the nearby Vicar's Tower. The form is most probably that of a solar tower attached to a hall and within a complex of farm buildings but a large more self contained tower is possible.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceNU053284
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Dodds, John F., 1999, Bastions and Belligerents (Newcastle upon Tyne: Keepdate Publishing) p. 100
  • Salter, Mike, 1997, The Castles and Tower Houses of Northumberland (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 114 (slight)
  • Graham, Frank, 1993, Northumberian Castles Aln, Tweed and Till (Butler Publishing) p. 7
  • Rowland, T.H., 1987 (reprint1994), Medieval Castles, Towers, Peles and Bastles of Northumberland (Sandhill Press) p. 30
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 2 p. 347
  • Graham, Frank, 1976, The Castles of Northumberland (Newcastle-upon-Tyne: Frank Graham) p. 100
  • Long, B., 1967, Castles of Northumberland (Newcastle-upon-Tyne) p. 80
  • Dodds, Madeleine Hope (ed), 1935, Northumberland County History (Newcastle-upon-Tyne) Vol. 14 p. 207
  • Bates, C.J., 1891, Border Holds of Northumberland (London and Newcastle: Andrew Reid) p. 19, 23, 35n166 (Also published as the whole of volume 14 (series 2) of Archaeologia Aeliana view online)


  • Bates, C.J., 1891, 'Border Holds of Northumberland' Archaeologia Aeliana (ser2) Vol. 14 p. 19, 23, 35n166 online copy

Primary Sources