Belford Westhall Tower
Has been described as a Questionable Timber Castle (), and also as a Questionable Pele Tower
There are no visible remains
|Name||Belford Westhall Tower
|Alternative Names||Belford West Hall; Castrum de Belfurth; Castrum de Beleford
Westhall is the site of a tower or 'fortilage'. Remains of a moat can be traced, and the inequalities of the ground mark the foundations of a building. Human bones and a pair of 15th C spurs were found some years ago by workmen enlarging the mill pond, formerly part of the moat (Bateson 1893).
Listed in 1415 (Bates 1891).
No building foundations are now visible. The NE angle and eastern arm of the moat have been obliterated by the modern farm, and the remainder greatly reduced by ploughing, so that virtually only the southern arm and SW angle survive (F1 WDJ 29-NOV-64 ).
There may have been a motte and bailey here in the late 11th century, but the first recorded building was an unfortified manor house which Edward III spent the night in on his return form the Battle of Halidon Hill, 1333. By 1415 the manor house had been replaced by the 'Castrum de Beleford', a strong tower. The moat was dug at this time as part of the building's defence (Dodds 1999). (PastScape)
In the survey of 1415, there is named a 'Castrum de Belfurth' belonging to 'Dom de Dacre' (Lord Darce), but probably used by Thomas Lylburn, which by 1509 was recommended for a garrison by 40 horsemen. Remains of a moat can be traced although it has been partly built upon and plough damaged. Human bones and a C15 spur were found when enlarging the mill pond, formerly part of the moat, in C19. The 1715 survey records it a "formerly possessed by ye Armorers, now to Sr Robert Shafto."
See Belford Westhall Motte for discussion as the possible earlier castle.
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
|OS Map Grid Reference||NU102339