Hawick Bastle, Bavington
Has been described as a Certain Bastle
There are no visible remains
|Name||Hawick Bastle, Bavington
|Alternative Names||Hawike; Hawyke
A survey of 1541 refers to a 'Bastell House' at Hawick (Bates 1891).
A small area of fragmentary banks and ground disturbance centred NY 963825, in a field known as 'Chapel Hill', indicates some depopulation, but the remains are neither coherent nor extensive. There are no visible traces of the bastle, but a rectangular platform at NY 96278255 may represent its site (F1 BHP 10-JUL-1968).
The vill of Hawick was a member of the lordship of Bolbec. In the 13th century it was held by the lords of Bolam. A certificate of 1584 recorded that four 'decays' had taken place since 1535, suggesting either depopulation or the impoverishment of tenants. It had no separate entry in the Hearth Tax of 1666. In a Survey of 1734 six families were recorded. Armstrong's map of 1769 showed four buildings. Only one farmhouse remains. Most of the earthworks seen by Hodgson seem to have been obliterated. The eastern boundary of the village is clearly defined by ridge and furrow and a perimeter bank. A few earthworks are visible to the west of the bank, including a rectangular enclosure and a possible sunken way. Most of Chapel Hill is under ridge and furrow, except for the summit itself which probably marks the site of the chapel (Wrathmell 1975).
Hawick Bastle, in list of 1541, no trace remains. Site occupied by farm (Long 1967).
Hodgson records chapel remains having been found in the 18th century east of the village. Finds included a holy water basin and some bones. Wrathmell notes a 13th century charter recording St Katherine's chapel at Hawick (Prothero 1994). (Northumberland HER)
At Hawyke ys a bastell house of thinherytau'ce of one ...... Bellyngiam in good rep'ac'ons (Bates 1891 quoting survey of 1541)
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
|OS Map Grid Reference||NY963823