Green Castle, Wooler

Has been described as a Certain Timber Castle (Motte Ringwork)

There are earthwork remains

NameGreen Castle, Wooler
Alternative NamesCup and Saucer Camp; Humbleton
Historic CountryNorthumberland
Modern AuthorityNorthumberland
1974 AuthorityNorthumberland
Civil ParishAkeld

Green Castle ringwork 320m south west of Humbleton Mill is well-preserved and a good example of its type. It will contain occupation debris and evidence relating to its use as a stronghold which will enhance our understanding of fortifications from this period. In addition, the structure of the ringwork will reveal details of the manner of its construction. As a rare monument type in Northumberland it will contribute to the study of fortifications in this period.

The monument includes the remains of a ringwork of medieval date, known as Green Castle, situated on a high promontory above the Humbleton Burn and overlooking the town of Wooler. The ringwork has been constructed in order to utilize the steep natural defences on the north east and south east sides of the promontory. The remaining sides have been modified to create a steep sided mound, and a line of retaining stones is visible across the south west slope where erosion has occurred. In addition, a ditch with a maximum width of 5m and a slight counterscarp bank have been dug around the south, west and north sides further enhancing the defences. The ringwork is D-shaped in plan and measures approximately 50m north east to south west by 46m north west to south east internally. A bank, up to 0.7m high, has been constructed around the top of the mound on all sides except the north east, which drops sharply to the Humbleton Burn. Both the internal and external facing stones of this bank are visible. The interior of the ringwork is concave, although the ground level is considerably higher than outside the enclosure wall. The interior is subdivided by a north-south bank which stands up to 0.2m high. Aerial photographs indicate a second subdivision inside the ringwork, but this is difficult to trace on the ground. (Scheduling Report)

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceNT981278
Latitude55.5443115234375
Longitude-2.03027009963989
Eastings398190
Northings627850
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Salter, Mike, 1997, The Castles and Tower Houses of Northumberland (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 113
  • Pettifer, A., 1995, English Castles, A guide by counties (Woodbridge: Boydell Press) p. 200 (slight)
  • Jackson, M.J.,1992, Castles of Northumbria (Carlisle) p. 135
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 2 p. 336
  • Hutchinson, Wm, 1776, A View of Northumberland (Newcastle) Vol. 1 p. 242-3 (mention) online transcription

Journals

  • King, D.J.C. and Alcock, L., 1969, 'Ringworks in England and Wales' Ch√Ęteau Gaillard Vol. 3 p. 90-127
  • Hogg, A.H.A. 1947, 'A new list of the native sites of Northumberland' Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle-upon-Tyne (ser4) Vol. 11 p. 158 (this site is listed in the gazetteer)
  • MacLauchlan, H., 1919-22, History of the Berwickshire Naturalists Club Vol. 24 p. 452-3