Hunsingore Hall

Has been described as a Possible Timber Castle (Motte), and also as a Possible Fortified Manor House

There are earthwork remains

NameHunsingore Hall
Alternative NamesHall Orchard Hill
Historic CountryYorkshire
Modern AuthorityNorth Yorkshire
1974 AuthorityNorth Yorkshire
Civil ParishHunsingore

Remains of a medieval hall located on a raised river terrace overlooking the River Nidd at the southern end of the village of Hunsingore. The monument occupies a knoll, the south and west sides formed by the natural lie of the land and the east side formed by a deep hollow way. The knoll has steep sides and a flat top which measures 80m east to west by 60m north to south. The foundations of the medieval hall survive as a sub-rectangular shaped earthwork up to 1.5m high in the centre of the site. To the south of the site of the hall there are terraces which are the remains of the formal gardens. There are further earthwork remains of ancillary buildings throughout the site. The hall is thought to have been built on the site of an earlier defensive earthwork or motte commanding the ancient river crossing. Little is known of the early history of the monument. The manor of Hunsingore was granted to the Knights Templar preceptory at nearby Ribston in 1217 and it may be that the earliest defensive site was a castrum of the order. After the dissolution of the preceptory in 1536 the manor was granted to Henry Goodricke. It was some time after the 1540s that the Goodricke family home was built on the site, probably utilising existing buildings. However, the hall did not last long and it is thought that it was destroyed during the Civil War in the 1640s. (Scheduling Report)

A large oblong artificially shaped mound, having many points of resemblance to a motte, must be the site of the castrum of the Templars mentioned in a deed. It was the site of the hall of the Goodricke family which was probably destroyed during the Civil War (VCH; Speight; YAJ, 1883). The mound on which the site falls appears to be a natural hillock. The top has been artificially flattened and a small, rectangular platform raised to receive the Hall (F1 RWE 20-JUN-63). The site has been listed as a low, angular motte (Renn). (PastScape)

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSE428531
Latitude53.9728317260742
Longitude-1.34820997714996
Eastings442850
Northings453170
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 2 p. 532 (possible)
  • Renn, D.F., 1973 (2 edn.), Norman Castles of Britain (London: John Baker) p. 207
  • Armitage and Montgomerie, 1912, in Page, Wm (ed), VCH Yorkshire Vol. 2 p. 45
  • Speight, H., 1894, Nidderdale p. 156 online copy

Journals

  • Butler, Lawrence, 1994, 'The Origins of the Honour of Richmond and its Castles' Ch√Ęteau Gaillard Vol. 16 p. 69-80 (Reprinted in Liddiard, Robert, (ed), 2003, Anglo-Norman Castles p. 91-103 (Woodbridge: Boydell Press))
  • Wheater, 1883, 'Ribston and the Knights Templars' Yorkshire Archaeological Journal Vol. 8 p. 296 online copy
  • Clark, G.T., 1880, The Builder Vol. 38 p. 251

Other

  • Constable, Christopher, 2003, Aspects of the archaeology of the castle in the north of England C 1066-1216 (Doctoral thesis, Durham University) Available at Durham E-Theses Online
  • Creighton, O.H., 1998, Castles and Landscapes: An Archaeological Survey of Yorkshire and the East Midlands (PhD Thesis University of Leicester) p. 599 online copy