Hazlewood Castle, Aberford

Has been described as a Certain Fortified Manor House

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains

NameHazlewood Castle, Aberford
Alternative NamesHazelwood; Heselwode
Historic CountryYorkshire
Modern AuthorityNorth Yorkshire
1974 AuthorityNorth Yorkshire
Civil ParishStutton With Hazlewood

Castle, now Carmelite monastery. Late C13 origins, licence to crenellate granted to William Vavasour in 1286. Later additions and alterations in at least 3 stages including C15 tower and refurbishing of interior c1760 attributed to John Carr. Further restorations and rebuilding c1960 for Donald Hart and c1980 for Carmelite Friars. Dressed magnesian limestone with concrete additions and concealed Welsh slate and lead roof. Approximately H-shaped on plan. 2 storeys and basement, 5 bays arranged 2:2:5:2:2 with bays 2 and 4 breaking forward. Chamfered plinth. Flight of steps with decorative ironwork balustrade to entrance, a double 8-fielded- panel door with patterned overlight within door-case with replaced Roman Doric columns supporting fluted frieze and dentilled pediment. Further entrance to rear, pointed, traceried double oak doors brought from Eaton Old Hall c1960. C20 casement windows throughout. Evidence of earlier mullion windows. Crenellations, some replaced. Ridge and rear stacks. To west side are remains of slit windows and to north, evidence of 3 late C17 or early C18 windows with hood-moulds and sills. One originally 2-pointed- light, straight-headed window with moulded spandrels to tower with one light now blocked by later rebuilding. Interior: probable late C13 window now exposed to rear wall of Great Hall, a 2-shouldered-light window within cavetto-moulded shouldered arch with chamfered jambs within depressed chamfered, pointed-arched recess. Remains of probable early C14 newel staircase to rear of Great Hall. Neo-classical rooms include great hall with Greek Doric colonnade, round arcaded niches and marble fireplace; circular ante-room; staircase hall has cantilevered staircase with cast-iron balustrade and wreathed handrail; drawing room and dining room, with marble fireplaces, decorative plaster ceilings, ornamental door-cases and 6- fielded-panel doors. Further late C18 fireplaces and cornices to second floor

Kitchen has round arched fireplace exposed within remains of further probable C17 Tudor-arched opening. Remains of probable earlier C17 fireplace to rear kitchen. Also remains of basket-arched doorway with chamfered jambs. During 1960s various interiors were imported including Flemish panelled room dated 1673-1683 from the Carmelite Church in Ghent incorporating stone fireplace and sculpted overmantel from Eaton Old Hall; the library has probable C16 north European bookcases and 2 barley-twist columns. (Listed Building Report)

Licence to crenellate Hazelwood Castle was granted in 1290. Little remains of the mediaeval structure apart from a few surviving remains of windows in the entrance hall, formerly the castle Hall, and other internal features. From the south, the house presents a castellated Georgian design. A private chapel was founded in 1286, and is the only part of the castle complete in its mediaeval form. (PastScape ref. Pevesner)

Gatehouse Comments

No longer a friary, Open as a hotel in 1997 after restoration.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSE449397
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Salter, Mike, 2001, The Castles and Tower Houses of Yorkshire (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 42
  • Ingham, Bernard, 2001, Bernard Ingham's Yorkshire Castles (Dalesman) p. 76-7
  • Emery, Anthony, 1996, Greater Medieval Houses of England and Wales Vol. 1 Northern England (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press) p. 339, 345-6
  • Pettifer, A., 1995, English Castles, A guide by counties (Woodbridge: Boydell Press) p. 304
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 2 p. 518
  • Ryder, P.F., 1982 (paperback edn 1992), The Medieval Buildings of Yorkshire (Ash Grove Book) p. 87-107
  • Le Patourel, H.E. Jean, 1973, The Moated Sites of Yorkshire (The Society for Medieval Archaeology Monograph Series 5) p. 125
  • Pevsner, N., 1967; revised by Enid Radcliffe, Buildings of England: Yorkshire: West Riding (London) p. 256-7
  • Harvey, Alfred, 1911, Castles and Walled Towns of England (London: Methuen and Co)
  • Turner, T.H. and Parker, J.H., 1859, Some account of Domestic Architecture in England (Oxford) Vol. 3 Part 2 p. 403 online copy



  • Oswald, 1957 Dec 19, Country Life p. 1380-1383, 1426-9

Guide Books

  • Thornton, D. and Royston, H., Hazlewood Castle, A Pictorial Record

Primary Sources

  • Maxwell Lyte, H.C. (ed), 1893, Calendar of Patent Rolls Edward I (1281-91) Vol. 2 p. 383 online copy
  • Rickard, John, 2002, The Castle Community. The Personnel of English and Welsh Castles, 1272-1422 (Boydell Press) (lists sources for 1272-1422) p. 482