Has been described as a Possible Fortified Manor House, and also as a Possible Pele Tower

There are uncertain remains

Alternative NamesEstdik; Easdike
Historic CountryYorkshire
Modern AuthorityNorth Yorkshire
1974 AuthorityNorth Yorkshire
Civil ParishWighill

Site of a deserted medieval village first referred to as Estdik in 1254, the stronghold of the FitzAlans, and occupied into the 17th century. The remains have been very disturbed by modern development. Earthworks, including embanked enclosures visible on air photographs, survive to the north and south of Easedike Farm. Possibly also the site of a manor house or fortified house. (PastScape)

Described and shown on plan by Speight as the site of an old manor-house or peel-tower with terracing and traces of extensive buildings, the remains of 'the ancient strong-hold' of the Fitz-Alans and Stapletons, apparently occupied down to the beginning of C17. (PastScape ref. Speight)

The site of an old manor-house or peel-tower. Standing between the words of Healaugh Priory and a bend in the river Wharfe, this site was well chosen to guard the road between Wighill and Tadcaster against cattle-lifters and forays. In front of the long-demolished tower, and just below it, are traces of extensive buildings being the remains of the ancient stronghold of the Fitz Alans and Stapletons, and this building appears to have been occupied down to the commencement of the 17th century. (Speight 1902)

Gatehouse Comments

Would have stood on the direct opposite bank from Newton Kyme castle.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSE474453
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Beresford, Maurice and Hurst, John G. (eds), 1971, Deserted medieval villages: studies (Lutterworth Press) p. 211
  • Speight, Harry, 1902, Lower Wharfedale (London: Elliot Stock) p. 329 online copy


  • Beresford, Maurice, 1952-5, Yorkshire Archaeological Journal Vol. 38 p. 231