Broughton Gilliotts Place

Has been described as a Questionable Fortified Manor House

There are no visible remains

NameBroughton Gilliotts Place
Alternative Names
Historic CountryYorkshire
Modern AuthorityNorth Yorkshire
1974 AuthorityNorth Yorkshire
Civil ParishBroughton

Site of the pre-1597 Broughton Hall which was originally known as Gilliott's Place. (PastScape)

Broughton Hall, anciently called Gilliott's Place, originally stood on the flat by the brook, in front of the present house, but was removed to its present site in 1597. (Whitaker)

Gatehouse Comments

At one time PastScape listed this as a possible fortified manor but no longer do so. House of the knightly Tempest family within a park. It is probably this house was decorated with martial symbols, such as crenellations. Whitaker's account may actual be a reference to the house being physical moved, which could only be possible if the house was fundamental a timber building. No mention is made of a moat or other defensive features in Whitaker's brief account. The given location is likely to have been landscaped.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSD942509
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Whitaker, T.D., 1812, The History and Antiquities of the Deanery of Craven in the County of York (London) p. 84 online copy