Edgefield Hall

Has been described as a Possible Fortified Manor House

There are cropmark/slight earthwork remains

NameEdgefield Hall
Alternative NamesEggefeld
Historic CountryNorfolk
Modern AuthorityNorfolk
1974 AuthorityNorfolk
Civil ParishEdgefield

Farmhouse and remains of moat to the north. The house comprises two ranges, the west range built in the 17/18th century and the east range circa 1880. The projecting three storey porch on the west side dates from around 1600 and formed part of an earlier manor house. The house, built of flint and brick with pantile roofs, was extended in the late 19th century. This may be the site of the manor house for which a licence to crenellate was granted in 1334. (PastScape)

North arm about 75m long about 5 to 6m wide (max) partly west fringed by a few trees. South arm about 30m long about 2 to 3m wide, crossed by bridge, rushes clog east end. Owner says old photographs show a depression on the site of the west arm. Has probably been dredged. (Norfolk HER)

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceTG082358
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Emery, Anthony, 2000, Greater Medieval Houses of England and Wales Vol. 2 East Anglia, Central England and Wales (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press) (Shown on map of fortified houses of East Anglia as Destroyed) p. 166
  • Pevsner, Nikolaus and Wilson, Bill, 1997, Buildings of England: Norwich and north-east Norfolk (Penguin) p. 454
  • Turner, T.H. and Parker, J.H., 1859, Some account of Domestic Architecture in England (Oxford) Vol. 3 Part 2 p. 410 online copy
  • Blomefield, F., 1808, 'Holt hundred: Edgefield' An Essay towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk Vol. 9 p. 381-9 (tenurial history) online transcription


  • Cozens-Hardy, B., 1965, Norfolk Archaeology Vol. 33 p. 493
  • Cozens-Hardy, B., 1957, Norfolk Archaeology Vol. 31 p. 176

Primary Sources

  • Maxwell Lyte, H.C. (ed), 1895, Calendar of Patent Rolls Edward III (1334-38) Vol. 3 p. 10 online copy