Blackford Hall

Has been described as a Possible Fortified Manor House

There are uncertain remains

NameBlackford Hall
Alternative NamesBlakworth; Blakeworth; Blackworth; Blackforth
Historic CountryNorfolk
Modern AuthorityNorfolk
1974 AuthorityNorfolk
Civil ParishStoke Holy Cross

Blackford Hall was called Blackworth in the 14th century, when a licence to crenellate was granted. In the 17th century the site, which is moated, was owned by the D'Oyley family. Although the current house is an 18th century house of two storeys, the part of interest is the east-to-west building, which is thought to be a chapel surviving from a medieval mansion on this site. The chapel is thought to date to around 1300 and the east window has intersected tracery. It was converted to a house in the 16th century and partially rebuilt in 1703, and in the south side is a reset Normal roll-moulded arch with zigzag decoration. To the south is a large timber-framed barn with arch-braced tie beams dating to the 17th century or earlier. In the central courtyard a 16th century gold reliquary ring, apparently property of Edmund Billingford who died 1558, was recovered. (Norfolk HER)

Site of a former mansion situated inside a moat. The house to the South of the moat is in all probability a chapel. Close to the house, fragments of Norman masonry have been found. Two churches were documented in the parish at Domesday, the remains here probably being those of one of them, abandoned in C12. It probably became a manorial chapel. The house is of many periods built and flint nodules. The old portion has a traceried window in its E gable and two blocked lights in the North side, where a tie bar is dated 1703. The Norman masonry, apparently from several arches has been built into a South porch. (PastScape)

Gatehouse Comments

Licence to crenellate granted to Sir John Norwich in 1343.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceTG251017
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Emery, Anthony, 2000, Greater Medieval Houses of England and Wales Vol. 2 East Anglia, Central England and Wales (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press) (Shown on map of fortified houses of East Anglia as Destroyed) p. 166
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 2 p. 313n24 (mention as nothing known)
  • Pevsner, Nikolaus, 1962, The Buildings of England: Norfolk: North-West and South (Penguin) p. 91-2
  • Mackenzie, J.D., 1896, Castles of England; their story and structure (New York: Macmillan) Vol. 1 p. 308 online copy
  • Turner, T.H. and Parker, J.H., 1859, Some account of Domestic Architecture in England (Oxford) Vol. 3 Part 2 p. 413 online copy
  • Blomefield, F., 1806, 'Hundred of Henstede: Stoke' An Essay towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk Vol. 5 p. 519-27 online transcription


  • Norfolk Archaeology Vol. 21.2 p. 339

Primary Sources

  • Maxwell Lyte, H.C. (ed), 1902, Calendar of Patent Rolls Edward III (1343-45) Vol. 6 p. 106 online copy