Lincoln Bishops Palace(s)
Has been described as a Certain Palace (Bishop)
There are masonry ruins/remnants remains
|Name||Lincoln Bishops Palace(s)
Former Bishop's Palace. East hall c1175, built for Bishop Chesney. West hall, kitchen and service buildings to south, 1186-1224, for Hugh of Avalon and Hugh of Wells. Repaired and crenellated ( Licentia Crenellandi 1329) by Bishop Burghersh. Gate tower, west hall bay window and chapel range, 1436-1449, for Bishop Alnwick. Partly demolished 1648. Chapel range demolished 1725. Restored 1838. Alnwick Tower Restored 1838. Former stables, now offices, c1876. Dressed stone and ashlar. Roofless except for Alnwick Tower and former stables.
PLAN: east hall and undercroft, west hall with service rooms and kitchen to south, gate tower, chapel range with audience chamber, stable range. The two halls are on opposite sides of a wedge shaped courtyard, open to the south and closed by the northern gate tower.
EXTERIOR: east hall has to north a four-centred arched doorway and remains of a traceried window. Tunnel vaulted undercroft with fireplace to west and shaft of spiral stair to south-east. West hall, 4 bays, formerly aisled, has a canted bay window, mid C15, to the north-west. At the south-west end, a porch, mid C13, with a steep arched doorway flanked by smaller blank arches, with shafts, stiff-leaf capitals and dogtooth ornament. To the south, a similar triple doorway formerly leading to the kitchen, pantry and buttery. This is said to be the earliest complete example of this arrangement. To the south, below and beyond the chapel of the adjoining Edward King House, is a rib-vaulted bay with arches to east and west, with unusual billet moulding. To south, a blocked doorway with shafts. Kitchen has to west and to south, 3 buttresses with 3 setoffs. Gatehouse tower, 3 stages, has moulded plinth, string courses and crenellated parapet. To north-west, a canted projection with octagonal stair turret. North side has a moulded doorway with shafts and hoodmould and traceried panelled doors. Above it, a canted crenellated oriel window
South side has a similar doorway, and above it, a 2-light cross casement with four-centred arched head. Third stage has a similar window on each side.
INTERIOR has a star-vaulted chamber with cove-moulded doorways to east and west, that to east leading via a star-vaulted passage to the ante-chapel which has a tunnel vaulted room beneath it. Chapel range, to north-east, has remains of the audience chamber and oratory with square and rectangular aumbries. At the west end, a large cusped ogee headed sideboard recess, flanked by segmental pointed doorways with linked hoodmoulds. Stable range, 3 bays, Tudor Revival style, has coped parapet and gables, elliptical headed carriage openings and flat headed mullioned windows with hoodmoulds. This building is of unusual importance as a medieval domestic building and because it was the residence of St Hugh, 1136-1200, and Robert Grossteste, 1235-1253. (Listed Building Report)
We have no conclusive evidence as to where the early Bishop's Hall was but the only structural evidence still surviving may suggest that it was within the fortified west end of the cathedral itself. Wherever the Bishop's hall was within the former Roman enclosure, it was removed, first in 1130-33 into the chambers over the East gate, and then in 1137, the King granted the Bishop the land to the south, for the construction of the Bishop's palace. (Stocker 2004)
This site is a scheduled monument protected by law
This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law
Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
|OS Map Grid Reference||SK977716