Almondbury Burgus Enclosure

Has been described as a Possible Urban Defence

There are earthwork remains

NameAlmondbury Burgus Enclosure
Alternative Names
Historic CountryYorkshire
Modern AuthorityKirklees
1974 AuthorityWest Yorkshire
Civil ParishHuddersfield

Deserted Medieval borough, probably in existence by 1294 and abandoned by 1634. Located on documentary evidence to the outer ward of C12 castle. Earthworks within the outer ward are probably post medieval ridge-and-furrow. (PastScape)

Gatehouse Comments

See Almondbury Castle for full description and bibliography. While it is possible there were plans to set up a small town in the outer bailey, going to the extent of laying out the plots, made by a lord with limited understanding of urban planning, it seems unlikely anyone would really see this constrained hilltop site, with limited water supply, as a viable town.

- Philip Davis

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSE152141
Latitude53.6233100891113
Longitude-1.77043998241425
Eastings415280
Northings414110
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Creighton, O.H. and Higham, R.A., 2005, Medieval Town Walls (Stroud: Tempus) p. 80,268
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 2 p. 535
  • Beresford, M. and Finberg, H.P.R., 1973, English Medieval Boroughs: a handlist (David and Charles)

Antiquarian

Journals

  • Creighton, Oliver, 2006, ''Castles of Communities': Medieval Town Defences in England; Wales and Gascony' Ch√Ęteau Gaillard Vol. 22 p. 75-86

Other

  • Creighton, O.H., 1998, Castles and Landscapes: An Archaeological Survey of Yorkshire and the East Midlands (PhD Thesis University of Leicester) p. 315-19 online copy