Lingen Ringwork

Has been described as a Certain Timber Castle (Ringwork)

There are earthwork remains

NameLingen Ringwork
Alternative NamesThe Churchyard
Historic CountryHerefordshire
Modern AuthorityHerefordshire
1974 AuthorityHereford and Worcester
Civil ParishLingen

The remains of a ringwork and bailey, known locally as The Churchyard. The mound has a diameter of about 125 feet at the top, and it rises at most about 11.5 feet above the surrounding ditch. There are traces of a bank. It is surrounded by a dry ditch except on the north, where there is a deep gully and a stream. (PastScape)

Gatehouse Comments

The name 'The Churchyard' is applied to both castles in Lingen parish. It seems to be most often applied to the ringwork which is isolated and not near a Church, it is less often applied to the motte and bailey adjacent to the actual churchyard of Lingen parish church.

- Philip Davis

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSO372681
Latitude52.3074188232422
Longitude-2.92190003395081
Eastings337240
Northings268100
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Shoesmith, Ron, 2009 (Rev edn.), Castles and Moated Sites of Herefordshire (Logaston Press) p. 199
  • Salter, Mike, 2000, Castles of Herefordshire and Worcestershire (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 47
  • Stirling-Brown, R., 1989, Herefordshire Castles (privately published) p. 12
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 1 p. 208 (as No. 2 The Churchyard)
  • 1981, Herefordshire Countryside Treasures (Hereford and Worcester County Council) p. 5
  • RCHME, 1934, An inventory of the historical monuments in Herefordshire Vol. 3: north-west p. xxviii (plan), 137 No. 13 online transcription
  • Gould, I. Chalkley, 1908, in Page, Wm (ed), VCH Herefordshire Vol. 1 p. 228 (plan)

Journals

  • Sterling Brown, R., 2005, 'Field trip to Lingen and Pedwardine' Herefordshire Archaeological News Vol. 76 p. 26-36
  • 1992, Herefordshire Archaeological News Vol. 58 p. 35
  • 1992, Herefordshire Archaeological News Vol. 57 p. 28
  • King, D.J.C. and Alcock, L., 1969, 'Ringworks in England and Wales' Ch√Ęteau Gaillard Vol. 3 p. 90-127
  • Hogg, A.H.A. and King, D.J.C., 1963, 'Early castles in Wales and the Marches: a preliminary list' Archaeologia Cambrensis Vol. 112 p. 77-124
  • Renn, D.F., 1959, 'Mottes: a classification' Antiquity Vol. 33 p. 106-12 (listed as precursor to Lingen)