Has been described as a Questionable Masonry Castle, and also as a Questionable Fortified Manor House
There are no visible remains
|Alternative Names||Cubberly; Cow Berkeley
SO 96561577 Old Coberley Hall, the home of the Berkeleys, was sketched by Ravenhill in 1791 and demolished soon afterwards (TBGAS 1924). It stood on the site of Coberley churchyard, which in 1879 was bounded on the east and south by high ashlar walls with two doorways of probable Elizabethan date (TBGAS 1879-80). The remains of the walls were still to be seen in 1924 (TBGAS 1924). (For the probable site of the castle see SO 91 NE 5 - aka Defra no 117382).
To the south and west are ponds, both waterfilled and dry, apparently connected with the original complex (F1 ANK 06-JUN-72). (PastScape 117379)
A barrel-vaulted passage, 3'6" wide and about 4ft high, was uncovered in April 1951 during the laying of water mains on the road by Bookers Farm, (?Bookers Cottages - Name SO956162). The site is reputably that of Coberley Castle, belonging to a branch of the Berkeleys, and the passage presumably a medieval drain. It ran from the direction of the present houses below the road and opened on to the side of the valley known as Town End (O'Neil)
In 1846 however, Gromonde and Capt Bell uncovered some 15ft of the passage: they found a stone-framed doorway and fragments of encaustic tiles and painted glass possibly dated to Henry II.
At 'Town End' they 'investigated' turf covered, dry-stone foundations in field called 'The Castle' and extending to the banks of a small stream. A 'sort of bakehouse' had been reported earlier. They put in a spade at intervals and found a variety of pottery ('No fine Roman') and an early English penny. Some disturbance on APs but nothing definable in area SO 956161.
'Townsend Ground' is applied to three fields on the S and W side of Glebe, to the W of Booker's and 'Lower Baileys'. 'Upper Baileys' is applied to fields South of the valley stream. 'The Castle' was not then a field name (Coberley Tithe Map & Award 1838). (PastScape 117382)
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
|OS Map Grid Reference||SO965157