Down Castle

Has been described as a Questionable Timber Castle (Ringwork)

There are cropmark/slight earthwork remains

NameDown Castle
Alternative NamesPuddington Bottom
Historic CountryDevonshire
Modern AuthorityDevon
1974 AuthorityDevon
Civil ParishPoughill

Down Castle is a small ring-work, situated on Down Farm, and formerly covered by Castle Plantation. It is sited on the top but not at the end of a low spur, steep on both sides, which falls gently to the Binneford Water just below Puddington Bottom. A part of Castle Plantation had been felled before 1947 and is now an arable field. When ploughed the greater part of the circle of the defences shows as a light band of shaly stone from the bank in contrast to the darker soil from the rest of the field. The entrance is traceable on the higher part of the ridge to the eastward, and the rampart and external ditch can be clearly seen passing through the coppice and hedge on the south-west on the line A-B (fig 3). The rampart can be traced under the hedge on the western side and in the wood to the north of a modern track, which cuts through it at the corner of the field on the line A-B. The whole work is about 150 feet in diameter. In the tithe map of 1848 there was no plantation and the field (No 148) was called Castle, being part of Colleyland; the field to the west of the ring-work was then part of Venchannon (now Venn Channing) and was also simply called Castle. (PastScape–ref. Woolner)

Gatehouse Comments

Isolated from settlement but overlooks a restrictive river crossing. However, most likely a Iron Age farmstead.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSS838093
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Cdr and Mrs Woolner, 1963, Transactions of the Devonshire Association Vol. 95 p. 80-1