Wythop Hall

Has been described as a Possible Fortified Manor House

There are no visible remains

NameWythop Hall
Alternative NamesWythehope in Derwentefelles; Widehope; Widehop; Weydrup; weydup
Historic CountryCumberland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishWythop

Hugh Lowther received a licence to crenellate, on 12 July 1318, for his 'house at Wythehope'. It was ruinous in 1671 and entirely replaced by the present Wythop Hall in 1678, there being no trace of earlier work in the present building. (derived from PastScape–ref. Perriam and Robinson)

Reported site of moat. ~ According to L Cantor, Hugh de Louthre had a park at Wythop as early as 1367. Exact location unknown. (Lake District National Park HER)

Gatehouse Comments

Shown as having a enclosed park in Saxton's map of 1576. Described as an 'ancient hall house' (Sandford c. 1675) suggesting not a tower house as perhaps more usual in Cumberland. The C17 Hall is in the form of building around a courtyard and it may be possible the C14 house had a similar footprint. The suggestion of a moat would be unusual in this area and topographically difficult although not an unusual form for licensed houses.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceNY203284
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 96
  • Salter, Mike, 1998, The Castles and Tower Houses of Cumbria (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 95
  • Emery, Anthony, 1996, Greater Medieval Houses of England and Wales Vol. 1 Northern England (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press) p. 263
  • Jackson, M.J.,1990, Castles of Cumbria (Carlisle: Carel Press) p. 93
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 1 p. 91
  • Cantor, L.M., 1983, Medieval Parks of England: A Gazetteer (Leicester: Loughborough University of Technology) p. 20
  • Hugill, Robert, 1977, Castles and Peles of Cumberland and Westmorland (Newcastle; Frank Graham) p. 187-8
  • Curwen, J.F., 1913, Castles and Fortified Towers of Cumberland, Westmorland and Lancashire North of the Sands (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 13) p. 45, 188
  • Taylor, M.W., 1892, Old Manorial Halls of Westmorland and Cumberland (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 8) p. 324-5 online copy
  • Turner, T.H. and Parker, J.H., 1859, Some account of Domestic Architecture in England (Oxford) Vol. 3 Part 2 p. 408 online copy


  • Hughes, E. (ed), 1961, Fleming Senhouse Papers (Cumberland Record Series 2) p. 44 (mention, as ruined mansion house, in 1671)
  • Ferguson, R.S. (ed), 1890, A Cursory Relation of all the Antiquities and Familyes in Cumberland. By Edmund Sandford, circa 1675 (Kendal: CWAAS Tract Series 4) p. 13-14 online copy


  • Graham, T.H.B., 1932, 'Landed Gentry' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 32 p. 55 (mention of park in 1367) online copy

Primary Sources

  • Maxwell Lyte, H.C. (ed), 1903, Calendar of Patent Rolls Edward II (1317-21) Vol. 3 p. 189 online copy