Has been described as a Questionable Pele Tower, and also as a Questionable Bastle

There are no visible remains

Alternative Names
Historic CountryCumberland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishSt Cuthbert Without

Plan of Woodside made in 1878 revealed an pele tower prior to the alterations then being undertaken. The plan now appears to be lost. (PastScape–ref. Perriam and Robinson)

Woodside, the seat and property of Miss Losh, is a large and handsome mansion, situate in a beautiful and well-wooded lawn. The Woodside estate has been for many generations held by this family; the present proprietress is daughter of the late John Losh, Esq., and the largest land-owner in the township. Messrs. Thomas and John Lowthian, Joseph Sewell, and colonel Martin, have estates here also. (Mannix & Whellan)

Situated on the extreme northern verge of the Forest of Inglewood, the estate received the fitting name "Woodside." The mansion has reached its present stately form through a series of additions and improvements. The north front dates from the time of Queen Anne; and the south front was added by the late Miss Sarah Losh, some seventy years since. From discoveries made during the complete restoration which took place some years ago, we may safely conclude that the more ancient house was a small Peel, of the form usually found on the Scottish border. The close vicinity of another Peel, that of the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. now called Newbiggin Hall, does not contradict this conclusion but rather confirms it; for small Peels within a stone's throw of each other may still be seen at Malkridge, near Haltwhistle. (Bulmer)

Gatehouse Comments

PastScape locate this at NY433499, the location of modern Woodside Farm, but called Wood House on the C19 OS maps. This was not the location of Woodside House. It appears the rebuilt house of 1878 has now been demolished and that not only is the plan of this possible 'pele' lost but the last remains are also gone. In 1878 the bastle house (or pele-house) was a less well known building form (Clark, who was not a north country man, was probably unaware of it) and it may be that it was a pele-house rather than the higher status pele-tower that was seen on the house survey. However the report in Bulmer might suggest that a pele-house was what was meant for the 'peles' around Melkridge are pele-house type bastles and Newbiggin is an ambiguous building but of a rectangular rather than square footprint.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceNY428505
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Salter, Mike, 1998, The Castles and Tower Houses of Cumbria (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 99 (slight)
  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 224
  • Bulmer, T.F., 1901, History, Topography and Directory of Cumberland (Manchester) p. 284 online copy
  • Mannix and Whellan, 1847, History, Gazetteer and Directory of Cumberland (Beverley) online transcription


  • Clark, G.T., 1882, 'On the Mediaeval Defences of the English Border' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 6 p.45-6 online copy