Whitehall, Allhallows

Has been described as a Certain Pele Tower

There are major building remains

NameWhitehall, Allhallows
Alternative Names
Historic CountryCumberland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishAllhallows

Tower house of 14th or 15th century date, altered in 1589 and restored in 1861. Three storey, battlemented tower with two storey hall range to the right. The building was extended to the left some time between 1861 and 1907 but this addition was demolished in 1962. The house was sold to the County Council after World War II and used for demolition training during the 1960s. Now in private ownership. (PastScape)

Tower house now private house. Partly C14 and C15 with alterations dated and inscribed on stone under coat-of-arms LANCELOTUS SALKELD FILIUS THOMAE SALKELD HOC FIERI FECIT 1589; further alterations by Anthony Salvin dated and inscribed on rainwater heads GM 1861 (George Moore). Extremely thick walls of mixed red and calciferous sandstone rubble, partly squared and coursed, under battlemented parapet and angle turret with flush quoins. Tower has graduated greenslate roof between parapets; hall range under graduated greenslate roof with coped gable and ball finials; stone chimney stacks. 3-storey, 2-bay tower with 2-storey, 3-bay hall range to right, which by the coursing of the stone appears contemporary with the tower. C19 plank door under C19 Tudor arch inscribed (by George Moore) LET IT PLEASE THEE TO BLESS THE HOUSE OF THY SERVANT, with original C16 hoodmould inscribed TS on label stops. 2-light Tudor style windows are partly C16, but some are completely C19. Small carved stone coat-of-arms built into wall at first floor level. Projection to left linked with 1861-1907 extension, (demolished 1962 leaving only foundation courses). Window to left is in C19 blocked first-floor doorway to extension. Hall has C19 ground floor windows. Central blocked C16 doorway above, has hoodmould with coat-of-arms label stops. Original 3-light Tudor window to left under hoodmould with T.S. label stops. End wall right has small C16 carved-stone coat-of-arms. Rear wall of Tower has blocked ground-floor Tudor window

Small chamfered-surround window to left and blocked openings above originally lit newel staircase. All other windows are C19 Tudor style. C19 uninscribed panel at first floor level. Rear wall of hall has C15 chamfered-surround ground floor window with 3-light Tudor window above under hoodmould. Interior of tower has extensive C19 alterations. Newel staircase from second floor to parapet, was originally from ground floor and continued up into turret. Ground floor of hall has fireplace dated and inscribed W. & L. P.M. (Parkin-Moore) 1900. Upper floor room has Tudor-style stone fireplace and panelled plaster ceiling inscribed on central cartouche G. & A.M. Was in Salkeld hands until 1746 when it fell into ruins. Restored by George Moore after purchase in 1858. Sold to County Council after World War II, who passed it to the Civil Defence Corps for demolition training in 1960's. Sold by Council and now owned by the original owners Parkin-Moore. (Listed Building Report)

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceNY201416
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 27
  • Salter, Mike, 1998, The Castles and Tower Houses of Cumbria (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 93
  • Pettifer, A., 1995, English Castles, A guide by counties (Woodbridge: Boydell Press) p. 47
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 1 p. 91
  • Hugill, Robert, 1977, Castles and Peles of Cumberland and Westmorland (Newcastle; Frank Graham) p. 183-4
  • Pevsner, N., 1967, Buildings of England: Cumberland and Westmorland (Harmondsworth: Penguin) p. 161
  • Curwen, J.F., 1913, Castles and Fortified Towers of Cumberland, Westmorland and Lancashire North of the Sands (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 13) p. 405-6
  • Moore, A.J., 1865, Whitehall in Cumberland p. 1-28 (see online copy)
  • Whellan, W., 1860, The History and Topography of the Counties of Cumberland and Westmorland (Pontefract) p. 202 online copy
  • Lysons, D. and S., 1816, Magna Britannia ... Volume 4 Cumberland (London) p. 9 online transcription
  • Hutchinson, W., 1794, The History of the County of Cumberland (Carlisle) Vol. 2 p. 360 online copy (slight genealogy)


  • Sandford, E. c. 1675, in R.S. Ferguson (ed), 1890, A Cursory Relation of the all the Antiquities and Familyes in Cumberland (Kendal: CWAAS Tract Series 4) p. 25 online copy