Newbiggin 4, Stonehouse of William Tomson

Has been described as a Possible Bastle

There are major building remains

NameNewbiggin 4, Stonehouse of William Tomson
Alternative Names
Historic CountryCumberland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishAinstable

One of five houses recorded as a stonehouse or bastle in Newbiggin village in 1603: NY556492. 'Wm Tomson sen a pece free wth a stonehouse'. (PastScape–ref. Perriam and Robinson)

Gatehouse Comments

Given map reference approximate, actual site probably under an existing building.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceNY556492
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 168

Primary Sources

  • Graham, T. H. B. (ed.). 1934, The barony of Gilsland. Lord William Howard's survey, taken in 1603 (Feild-Booke yt explaines all the Map Booke for Gilsland taken in 1603) (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 16) p. 119