Mossthorn, Stapleton

Has been described as a Possible Pele Tower, and also as a Possible Bastle

There are no visible remains

NameMossthorn, Stapleton
Alternative NamesMossthorne; The Mosthorn; Lineholme
Historic CountryCumberland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishStapleton

Alleged site of a pele tower north-west of Lineholme at Mossthorn. Report of lintel dated '1604 BM' with Musgrave Arms found. (Perriam and Robinson)

Gatehouse Comments

Shown on the Saxton map of 1576 as a house, not a tower. However the fact this site is on that map may suggest this was more than a yeoman farmhouse. The lintel with Musgrave arms may also suggest something rather more than a pele-house bastle, although the date 1604 is late for a pele tower. This may have been a small 'superior' bastle of near gentry status rather than a pele tower or a pele house. It is not shown on the Aglionby Platt of 1590 specific made to show West March fortifications

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceNY515734
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Salter, Mike, 1998, The Castles and Tower Houses of Cumbria (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 99 (slight)
  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 55
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 1 p. 93
  • Curwen, J.F., 1913, Castles and Fortified Towers of Cumberland, Westmorland and Lancashire North of the Sands (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 13) p. 409


  • Bewcastle Journal Vol. 7
  • Collingwood, W.G., 1923, 'An Inventory of the Ancient Monuments of Cumberland' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 23 p. 208 online copy