Cumwhitton Low Holm

Has been described as a Possible Bastle

There are no visible remains

NameCumwhitton Low Holm
Alternative NamesThe Holme
Historic CountryCumberland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishCumwhitton

A stonehouse or bastle is documented at the holme, (now Low Holm) in 1603:

NY509495. 'The holme. Robt Earle a tenemt and croft... being a stonehouse: by the...river Eden south...' Now Low Holm. (PastScape–ref. Perriam and Robinson)

Not scheduled

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceNY509495
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 163

Primary Sources

  • Graham, T. H. B. (ed.). 1934, The barony of Gilsland. Lord William Howard's survey, taken in 1603 (Feild-Booke yt explaines all the Map Booke for Gilsland taken in 1603) (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 16) p. 130