Grayrigg Hall

Has been described as a Possible Fortified Manor House

There are no visible remains

NameGrayrigg Hall
Alternative Names
Historic CountryWestmorland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishGrayrigg

Parson and White, writing in 1829 state that 'the ancielt manor house was a strong old building, in a quadrangular form, adapted for defence more than for convenience'. Much of the lead and timber had been moved to Lowther. (PastScape–ref. Perriam and Robinson)

The old hall was situated to the south of the present farmhouse. It was a place of considerable strength and size, and was castellated. The old buildings were cleared away about eighty years ago, when the present farmhouse was built. The lead and timber was employed in building Lowther Castle. All vestiges have disappeared. (Taylor)

Grayrigg-hall, being the ancient manor house, was a strong old building, in a quadrangular form, adapted for defence more than for convenience. It is now totally in ruins, most of the lead and timber thereof having been removed to Lowther. (Nicholson and Burn)

Gatehouse Comments

Site of fortified manor house of the Duckets.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSD578975
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reservedView full Sized Image

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 342
  • Taylor, M.W., 1892, Old Manorial Halls of Westmorland and Cumberland (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 8) p. 229 online copy
  • Parson, W. and White, W., 1829, History, directory and gazetteer of the counties of Cumberland and Westmorland (Leeds) p. 648 online copy
  • 1825, The Remains of John Briggs (Kirkby Lonsdale) online copy
  • Hodgson, J., 1810, Topographical and Historical Description of Westmoreland p. 207 online copy
  • Nicholson, J. and Burn, R., 1777, History of Westmorland and Cumberland (London) Vol. 1 p. 114 online copy


  • Hughes, E. (ed), 1962, Fleming-Senhouse Papers (Carlisle: Cumberland Record Series 2) p. 13