Farlam Hill House, Sebineeze

Has been described as a Possible Bastle

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains

NameFarlam Hill House, Sebineeze
Alternative Names
Historic CountryCumberland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishMidgeholme

Stonehouse site.

'Mr Dacre hath a Fermehouse (beinge a stonehouse)...' (1603 Survey)

Originally a holding of Lanercost Priory called 'Sebineeze', it passed to Dacre of Lanercost after the Dissolution. The Howard of Naworth Papers gives a series of leases from 1603 to 1842. By 1806 the name had gradually changed to 'Hill House'.

Hill House Farm was damaged by fire in the 1980s and is in ruins. Peter Ryder survey of 1996 shows a thick wall on the East and in the centre at the North with a slit and chamfered windows. Originally longer, it may have been 'a defensive longhouse'. (Perriam and Robinson 1998)

Not scheduled

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceNY644593
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Salter, Mike, 1998, The Castles and Tower Houses of Cumbria (Malvern: Folly Publications)
  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 152 (plan)

Primary Sources

  • Graham, T. H. B. (ed.). 1934, The barony of Gilsland. Lord William Howard's survey, taken in 1603 (Feild-Booke yt explaines all the Map Booke for Gilsland taken in 1603) (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 16) p. 59