Has been described as a Possible Pele Tower

There are no visible remains

Alternative NamesEden Hall; Eamont
Historic CountryCumberland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishLangwathby

William de Stapleton had a "fortlet on the water of Eamont" in 1349. In 1688 it was described thus; "the site is a capital messuage is an old building tower wise but a convenient neat house". It was largely demolished 1796-9 and replaced by a dwelling in the 1820s. This building has subsequently been demolished. (PastScape ref. Perriam and Robinson)

Not scheduled

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceNY564323
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Salter, Mike, 1998, The Castles and Tower Houses of Cumbria (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 97 (slight)
  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 202 (with copy of plan of 1797)
  • Wilson, J. (ed), 1905, VCH Cumberland Vol. 2 p. 256 online copy
  • Bulmer, T.F., 1901, History, Topography, and Directory Of Cumberland p. 365-7 online transcription


  • Winchester, A.J.L and Wane, M. (eds), 2003, Thomas Denton: A Perambulation of Cumberland, 1687-8, including descriptions of Westmorland, the Isle of Man and Ireland (Cumbria Record Office MS D/Lons/L12/4/2/2) (Surtees Society)


  • Clark, G.T., 1882, 'On the Mediaeval Defences of the English Border' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 6 p.48 online copy

Primary Sources

  • Maxwell Lyte, H.C. (ed), 1905, Calendar of Patent Rolls Edward III (1348-50) Vol. 8 p. 588 online copy