Close Gap

Has been described as a Possible Bastle

There are no visible remains

NameClose Gap
Alternative NamesBrowhead
Historic CountryCumberland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishKirkandrews


Suggested stonehouse site.

Shown as a house on the 1607 platt. Close Gap is shown as a house on a plot of 1607. Cole notes two sites but considers 'at the present farmstead... one would expect this to have included the stonehouse. Browhead was the successor (farm)... in the late C16.

Cole gives details of the site and historical references going back to 1542.

Further work is required to locate the site. (PastScape–ref. Perriam and Robinson)

Gatehouse Comments

Close Gap is a farm at the given reference, called Closegap on the 1868 OS map. Browhead no longer seems to survive but is shown on the 1868 OS map north-east of Closegap at NY364702.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceNY358696
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 228


  • Graham, T.H.B., 1914, 'The Debatable Land Part II' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 14 facing p. 148 online copy [online copy of 1607 platt >] [online copy of 1552 map >]


  • Cole, J.R., 1982, A survey of the Debatable Land and Glen Tarras c. 1449-1620 (Thesis for Manchester University) p. 64