Brampton Townhall

Has been described as a Possible Bastle

There are no visible remains

NameBrampton Townhall
Alternative NamesTownehouse; Hayton
Historic CountryCumberland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishBrampton

Stonehouse rebuilt in 19th century.

The 1603 survey reads 'The lorde hath a faire stone house at the east ende of the town called the Hallhouse, compased about wth the common waie or streete...' Household Accounts of Naworth (1877) mentions mending slates at the 'Townehouse'. Household Accounts of Naworth (1953) 60 prisoners 'like to starve' in 1648.

The 1770 town map shows its overall size; otherwise totally destroyed, lay to the east of the present Moot Hall of 1817. (Perriam and Robinson 1998)

Not scheduled

Not Listed

County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceNY531611
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Salter, Mike, 1998, The Castles and Tower Houses of Cumbria (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 96 (slight)
  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 138 (plan)
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 1 p. 93
  • Curwen, J.F., 1913, Castles and Fortified Towers of Cumberland, Westmorland and Lancashire North of the Sands (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 13) p. 410

Primary Sources

  • Graham, T. H. B. (ed.), 1934, The barony of Gilsland. Lord William Howard's survey, taken in 1603 (Feild-Booke yt explaines all the Map Booke for Gilsland taken in 1603) (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 16) p. 45
  • Ornsby, G. (ed), 1877, Household Accounts of Naworth 1612-40 (London: Surtees Society 68) online copy
  • 1953, Household Accounts of Naworth 1648-60 (London: Surtees Society 168)