Has been described as a Certain Bastle

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains

Alternative NamesBreckenrigge, Brownrigg
Historic CountryCumberland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishBowness

Early or mid C16 bastle house now used as a barn. Home of John Glaisters of Breckenrigge mentioned in 1589. 9.9m by 6.5m. Walls a metre thick of coursed and squared red and calciferous sandstone (from the nearby Roman Wall), on large projecting plinth course, with flush quoins; graduated greenslate roof. 2 storeys, 2 bays, end bay right is C18 cobble extension. C16 entrance with roll-moulded architrave; jambs with drawbar tunnels. Enlarged loft entrance above. Original slit vents on 2 levels. Rear wall: original slit vents on 2 levels. C18 or C19 window on ground floor, small square chamfered-surround upper floor window. Interior: upper floor C16 fireplace, now opened to relieving arch to form entrance to extension; flanking recesses could be salt cupboard and spice cupboard. (Listed Building Report)

Brownrigg, an old house, about one mile from the village, has evidently been a place of defence; the remains of the bell turret are still seen on one of the old gables, and on the ground floor the draw well is visible. (Mannix and Whellan)

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceNY231614
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Salter, Mike, 1998, The Castles and Tower Houses of Cumbria (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 102 (slight)
  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 61
  • Armstrong, A.M., 1971 (2edn), The Place-Names of Cumberland, part 1 The City of Carlisle, and Eskdale, Cumberland, and Leath Wards (English Place-Name Society 20) p. 126
  • Mannix and Whellan, 1847, History, Gazetteer and Directory of Cumberland (Beverley) p. 180 view online copy


  • Perriam, D.R., 1988, 'Bowness Rectory tower (documents relating to ?late 14th/early 15th century bastle)' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 88 p. 197-9 online copy
  • Clark, G.T., 1882, 'On the Mediaeval Defences of the English Border' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 6 p. 47-8 online copy


  • Martin, Gerry, 2009, Archaeological Desk-Based Assessment and Wathcing Brief at Brackenrigg, Bowness-on-Solway (Gerry Martin Associates Ltd for Allerdale Borough Council) online copy