Has been described as a Possible Bastle

There are cropmark/slight earthwork remains

Alternative Names
Historic CountryCumberland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishKirkandrews

Supposed stonehouse now demolished.

Cole is uncertain 'whether there was a stonehouse' but though 'something similar to... Naworth Park might be expected', because 'after the transportation of the Grahams, the Earl of Cumberland maintained a household and demense here.'

1552 map shows three hoes, 1607 shows a house, not shown on the 1590 map. Cole gives a number of other references to the Grahams of Batenbush.

Cole states that 'light traces of possible buildings can be seen favourable conditions.' (Perriam and Robinson 1998)

Not scheduled

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceNY378715
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 226


  • Graham, T.H.B., 1914, 'The Debatable Land Part II' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 14 facing p. 148 online copy [online copy of 1607 platt >] [online copy of 1552 map >]


  • Cole, J.R., 1982, A survey of the Debatable Land and Glen Tarras c. 1449-1620 (Thesis for Manchester University) p. 61