Tremadart Old Court

Has been described as a Questionable Fortified Manor House

There are no visible remains

NameTremadart Old Court
Alternative NamesTremoderet
Historic CountryCornwall
Modern AuthorityCornwall
1974 AuthorityCornwall
Civil ParishDuloe

A private chapel at Tremadart was licensed in 1310. (Henderson). Tremoderet, now called Tremadart became the seat of the Coleshill family whose heirs sold it in 1711.William of Worcester's itinerary (compiled in Edward IV's reign) mentions a dilapidated castle called Boleit (or Bodleit (Lysons)), near Sir John Coleshill's mansion of Tremoderet, but of this no fragments at present remain (Hitchins and Drew). There is no evidence of dateable reused material incorporated in the present Tremadart - a C19 farmhouse - or in the nearby farm outbuildings. The 1841 Tithe Map and Apportionment shows a large house at the OS 25" 1907 Manor siting. There is no trace of the chapel or "castle", however the latter may have been located in the vicinity of the field centred SX 22975852 called Old Court on the Tithe Map. This field presents no tangible evidence of medieval occupation, but the 'castle' was probably nothing more than a fortified manor house (Field Investigators Comments-F1 MJF 14-MAY-71). (PastScape)

William of Worcester, who wrote an Itinerary of Cornwall in the reign of Edward IV., speaks of a dilapidated castle, called Bodleit (fn. Probably Botelet, in the adjoining parish of Lanreath, which was a manor of the Bottreaux family.), near Sir John Coleshill's mansion, at Tremoderet. (Lysons)

Gatehouse Comments

The fotenote in the online Lysons is probably correct with regard to the castle mentioned by William Worcester–see Botelet. There is insufficient evidence to be certain of the form of Tremadart Old Court, but the lack of any remains is not suggestive of even a modestly fortified house, although a private chapel suggests a house of some size and status.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSX232583
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Henderson, Charles, 1925, The Cornish church guide and Parochial History of Cornwall p. 56
  • Hitchins and Drew, 1824, History of Cornwall Vol. 2 p. 211
  • Hitchins, F. and Drew, S. (Eds), 1824, The History of Cornwall Vol. 2 p. 211 online copy
  • Gilbert, C.S., 1820, Historical survey of Cornwall Vol. 2 p. 936
  • Lysons, D. and S., 1814, Magna Britannia Vol. 3 p. 80 Cornwall online transcription


  • Harvey, J.H. (ed), 1969, Itineraries (of) William Worcestre (Clarendon Press)