Has been described as a Questionable Fortified Manor House

There are earthwork remains

Alternative NamesBodrugam; Sterling Castle
Historic CountryCornwall
Modern AuthorityCornwall
1974 AuthorityCornwall
Civil ParishSt Goran

Spreadbury writes that, according to Borlase, a splendid castle in Goran of which remains survived till the end of C18?

The 1st Edition OS 2500 map of 1880 records the 'site of a castle' on Castle Hill. This was possibly the site of an 18th century castelled residence recorded by Tonkin who noted that 'adjoining Castle Hill earthwork, James Maxwell, of a noble Scottish family, has built a small castellated house, pleasantly seated. Known as Sterling Castle, alias Scotland, because of Maxwell's nationallity'. A building is shown here on the OS 1813 map, but Maclaughlan's plan of 1846 shows two small enclosures and a 'tumulus' with no indication of a building. In 1968, the OS surveyor recorded that the site, which has no defensive potential, was unlikely to be a castle, and the enclosures are unlikely to be earlier than 18th century. Peter Rose (CAU) made a sketch survey in 1983. He found the site to consist of four small roughly rectangular enclosures 25 by 15m, 22 by 20m, 20 by 17m, and 15 by 12m, defined by dry stone walling, banks, Cornish hedges and revetting. The building itself was not located. (Cornwall & Scilly HER)

Gatehouse Comments

Gatehouse had, prior to 22 March 2010 and reading the Cornwall and Scilly HER record, though this might refer to a medieval castle possibly at or near Bodrugan Barton and gave the following comments–The PastScape gives SX002436 (NMRN 431109) for an alleged site of a castle with no further supporting evidence. There is also an uncertain earthwork nearby called Castle Hill at SX000437 (NMRN 431118), and a square earthwork marked castle on the 1st edition OS at SX024427. However, in my opinion, Borlase's castle is most likely Bodrugan Barton, described in the PastScape as 'Medieval barton owned by the Bodrugan family. The buildings comprised a farmhouse and chapel and were accompanied possibly by a park. The chapel is documented in 1372, and like other buildings in the complex was pulled down in 1786. Only a wall of the chapel remains as part of a barn.' This is clearly high status enough to be called a castle and the date for destruction is correct. Leland records Bodrugan Park as having contained the 'house' of Sir Henry Bodrugan. Bodrugan Barton, the home of the Bodrugan family. The remains of the mediaeval house are few, the present farmhouse being no earlier that C17. At right angles to it is a long range of outhouses lying E-W, of which the eastern part seems to be the remnant of the mediaeval mansion. It is generally spoken of as 'the chapel', and so it may have been. Otho Bodrugan has a licence for a chapel in 1372. Much of the masonry, however, has been rebuilt and some of the cut stonework is obviusly out of place. Among these is a good C14 doorway of Pentewan stone. Borlase describes the remains of Bodrugan 'castle' in 1760 as being very extensive - a large hall and kitchen, and a chapel converted into a barn. All these were pulled down c. 1786, but Sheppard lists an extant mediaeval barn at SX 01464347

- Philip Davis

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSX000437
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Spreadbury, I. D., 1984, Castles in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly (Redruth)
  • Hitchins, F. and Drew, S. (Eds), 1824, The History of Cornwall Vol. 2 p. 296 online copy
  • Borlase, William, 1754, Antiquites, historical and monumental, of the county of Cornwall (Oxford)
  • Tonkin, T., 1702, Parochial History of Cornwall 454C


  • Chandler, John, 1993, John Leland's Itinerary: travels in Tudor England  (Sutton Publishing) p. 75
  • Toulmin-Smith, Lucy (ed), 1907, The itinerary of John Leland in or about the years 1535-1543 (London: Bell and Sons) Vol. 1 p. 201 online copy


  • Sheppard, P., 1966, 'Parochial Check-Lists of Antiquities' Cornish Archaeology Hendhyscans Kernow Vol. 5 p. 76 online copy
  • Henderson, C., 1956, Journal of the Royal Institution of Cornwall Vol. 2 p. 184-5