Falstoff's Moat

Has been described as a Possible Fortified Manor House

There are earthwork remains

NameFalstoff's Moat
Alternative NamesFalstoff's Wood; Kimberley Hall
Historic CountryNorfolk
Modern AuthorityNorfolk
1974 AuthorityNorfolk
Civil ParishKimberley

Well defined moat with not totally convincing entrance in north corner on northwest arm, but no other surface evidence of entrance onto 38m x 25m interior platform. Slightly narrower northeast arm is V-shaped with southward flow of water, possibly due to drainage from arable land to northwest.

Exterior spoil bank flanks the western corner, extending along northwest arm, southwest and southeast arms also, less distinct on southeast. Southwest arm cut by inlet leat, a gently sinuous natural looking watercourse with a banked and ditched enclosure to its north, possibly contemporary with the moat. The outlet leat is in east corner, truncated by present stream, but a shallow damp channel exists to east and is the probable original natural route. One sherd (bowl rim) of unglazed early medieval pottery found in moat southwest arm. Northwest of moat a bank heads towards the woodland boundary centrally from the moat arm, with a small pond-like depression to its west. (Norfolk HER–ref. B. Cushion site visit 1998)

Believed to be the site of a manor house which was abandoned in 1400, when Sir John Wodehouse built a much grander house about 900m to the north west (NHER 8918). (Norfolk HER)

Gatehouse Comments

For bringing this site to our attention Gatehouse thanks Roger Wilson.

- Philip Davis

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceTG084037
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • White, 1864, History of Norfolk p. 584
  • Blomefield, F., 1805, 'Hundred of South Erpingham: Blickling' An Essay towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk Vol. 2 p. 535-9 (tenurial history) online transcription


  • Cozens-Hardy, B., 1961, 'Some Norfolk Halls' Norfolk Archaeology Vol. 32 p. 190