St Anns Fort

Has been described as a Certain Artillery Fort

There are masonry footings remains

NameSt Anns Fort
Alternative Names
Historic CountryNorfolk
Modern AuthorityNorfolk
1974 AuthorityNorfolk
Civil ParishKings Lynn

Fort built circa 1570, fragmentary remains including a wall, survive. It was the major fortification in Lynn until replaced by defences outside the town in 1839. (PastScape)

Located in the North-West corner of the town where the Fisher Fleet joined the Ouse, the battery originally consisted of an earthwork platform for cannon, some buildings and a section of wall and gate giving access to the Fisher Fleet. in 1625, privateer raids on Lynn lead to the petitioning the King for 12 guns for the battery, which were delivered. Even as late as 1778, when the ten guns in the fort were replaced by ten 18-pounders, the battery had no protective parapet, and until its decommissioning in 1839, it was never more than a coastal battery. (PastScape ref. Kent)

Not scheduled

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceTF618205
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Kent, Peter, 1988, Fortifications of East Anglia (Lavenham: Ternence Dalton) p. 225-35
  • Blomefield, F., 1808, 'Freebridge Hundred and Half: Lynn' An Essay towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk Vol. 8 p. 476-533 (tenurial history) online transcription