St Annes House Bishops Palace, Kings Lynn

Has been described as a Certain Palace (Bishop)

There are no visible remains

NameSt Annes House Bishops Palace, Kings Lynn
Alternative Names14 St Ann's Street
Historic CountryNorfolk
Modern AuthorityNorfolk
1974 AuthorityNorfolk
Civil ParishKings Lynn

Built on the site of a medieval Bishop's residence, this is a large mid C17 three storey house with some reused medieval stone, refaced in the late C18 and subdivided in C19. The façade is nine window bays wide and has a central porch tower. The two rear wings are C17. Inside, the first floor gives fine views of St Nicholas' Chapel and several rooms have carved oak panelling. The building has now been converted to offices. During renovation work in 1999, a doorway was discovered in the main entrance passage. This has been dated to about 1400 and indicates that parts of the house may be much older than previously thought. (Norfolk HER)

Gatehouse Comments

Palace for the Bishop of Norwich presumably a precursor to Gaywood Hall. Probably included in the licence to crenellate issued to the bishop in 1327 although as this was for all his houses may not have resulted in any building work. Opposite the parish church.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceTF617204
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Blomefield, F., 1808, 'Freebridge Hundred and Half: Lynn' An Essay towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk Vol. 8 p. 476-533 (tenurial history) online transcription