London Inn of the Bishop of Hereford

Has been described as a Certain Palace (Bishop)

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains

NameLondon Inn of the Bishop of Hereford
Alternative NamesMontalt
Historic CountryLondon and Middlesex
Modern AuthorityCity and County of the City of London
1974 AuthorityGreater London
Civil ParishCity Of London

London Inn of the Bishop of Hereford. In City on West side of Old Fish Street at junction with Lombard Street in Queenhithe Ward, built of stone and timber. Site brought 1234 and chapel converted to St Mary Mounthalt 1346. Destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666.

On the west side of this old Fishstreete hill, is the Bishoppe of Herefordes Inne or lodging, and auncient house and large roomes builded of stone and timber which sometime belonged to the Mounthauntes in Norfolke. Radulphus de Maydenstone Bishoppe of Hereford, about 1234. bought it of the Mounthauntes, and gaue it to the Bishoppes of Hereford, his successors. Charles Booth, Bishoppes of Hereforde and Chauncellour of the Marches, about the yeare 1517. repayred it, since the which time, the same is greatly ruinated, and is now diuided into many small tenementes: the Hall and principall rooms are an house to make Suger loaues, &c. (Stow)

Not scheduled

Not Listed

County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceTQ328810
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Emery, Anthony, 2000, Greater Medieval Houses of England and Wales Vol. 2 East Anglia, Central England and Wales (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press) p. 513
  • Thompson, M.W., 1998, Medieval bishops' houses in England and Wales (Aldershot: Ashgate Publishing) p. 177
  • Schofield, J., 1995, Medieval London Houses (Yale University Press) p. 193 No. 111
  • James, T.B., 1990, The Palaces of Medieval England (London; Seaby) p. 103
  • Lobel, M.D. (ed), 1989, The City of London from prehistoric times to c.1520 British Atlas of Historic Towns Vol. 3 (Oxford University Press) p. 76 online copy


  • Kingsford, C.L. (ed), 1908, A Survey of London, by John Stow: Reprinted from the text of 1603 Vol. 2 p. 4 online copy


  • Tonkin, J.W., 1976, 'The palaces of the bishop of Hereford' Transactions of the Woolhope Naturalists' Field Club Vol. 42.1 p. 53-64

Primary Sources

  • Webb, J. (ed), 1853-5, A roll of the Household Expenses of Richard de Swinfield, Bishop Hereford during Parts of the Years 1289, 1290 (2 Vols) (Camden Society) pxxiv-vii
  • Parry, J.H. (ed), 1912, Registrum Johannis de Trillek (Hereford) p. 90


  • Payne, Naomi, 2003, The medieval residences of the bishops of Bath and Wells, and Salisbury (PhD Thesis University of Bristol) Appendix B: List of Medieval Bishop's Palaces in England and Wales (available via EThOS)
  • Honeybourne, M.B., 1929, The extent and value of the property in London and Southwark occupied by the religious houses (including the prebends of St Paul's and St Martin's le Grand), the inns of the bishops and abbots and the churches and churchyards, before the dissolution of the monasteries (University of London: MA Thesis) p. 324-8