Stanton Wyard

Has been described as a Possible Fortified Manor House

There are no visible remains

NameStanton Wyard
Alternative NamesStaunton Harecourt; Stanton Herle
Historic CountryOxfordshire
Modern AuthorityOxfordshire
1974 AuthorityOxfordshire
Civil ParishStanton Harcourt

In 1327 John Wyard was licensed to crenellate his manor house at Stanton Harcourt; its site is unknown, but by the late 17th century the manor house was leased to Thomas Flexney and was probably that later known as Flexney's House, north-east of Blackditch. The house, of coursed limestone rubble with a gabled stone slate roof, is of two storeys, and comprises an early or mid 17th-century cross wing, remodelled in the 19th century, and an early 18th century range to the north-west; a stone bears the date 1675 and the initials TF, probably for another Thomas Flexney. (VCH)

Gatehouse Comments

Not to be confused with Stanton Harcourt manor house.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSP412058
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Emery, Anthony, 2006, Greater Medieval Houses of England and Wales Vol. 3 Southern England (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press) p. 211
  • Crossley, Alan (ed), 1990, 'Stanton Harcourt: Manors and other estates' VCH Oxfordshire Vol. 12 p. 274-81 online transcription
  • Turner, T.H. and Parker, J.H., 1859, Some account of Domestic Architecture in England (Oxford) Vol. 3 Part 2 p. 276, 408 online copy


  • New, E.H., 1910, The Archaeological Journal Vol. 67 p. 359-60 online copy

Primary Sources

  • Maxwell Lyte, H.C. (ed), 1891, Calendar of Patent Rolls Edward III (1327-30) Vol. 1 p. 179 online copy