Bishops Sutton Bishops Palace
Has been described as a Certain Palace (Bishop)
There are no visible remains
|Name||Bishops Sutton Bishops Palace
|Historic Country||Hampshire and the Isle of Wight
|Modern Authority||Hampshire (City of Winchester)
|Civil Parish||Bishops Sutton
It seems probable that part of the parish of Bishop's Sutton was included in a grant made by King Ine to the church at Winchester in 701. It was held by Earl Harold T.R.E. and by Count Eustace III of Boulogne at Domesday. In 1136 the king exchanged the manor with the Bishop of Winchester for the manor of Morden. Except for a few brief intervals it has been held by the Bishops of Winchester ever since.
Bishop's Palace Writing in 1839 Duthy, states, "Within the memory of persons still living considerable vestiges of a strong and extensive building stood in the meadows to the north of the church, which were the dilapidated remains of an ancient palace of the bishops of Winchester. The walls were of great thickness and composed of flints and mortar, but it was impossible to trace the disposition of the apartments or the form of the edifice." He conjectures, plausibly, that it was destroyed in the Civil War.
In the time of Edward VI it was described as, "The manor-howse being a verie olde howse, somtyme walled round abowte with stone, now decaied, well waterid with an olde ponde or moote adjoyning to it ..."(Duchy of Lanc., Rentals & Surv).
In 1830 the remains were used as a malt-house, but only the site now remains. (VCH)
(Centred at SU 60653220) The site of the Bishops Palace is indicated by a roughly rectangular area of uneven ground, under pasture, now measuring c. 95 x 85m. There is no obvious sign of a former moat, although the site is bounded on the N.E. & N.W. by watercress beds, on the S.W. by a stream and on the S.E. by a dry watercourse. Around the site are many large flints and a few tile fragments. Examination of mole casts within the area revealed a few pieces of roofing slate.
At 'A' a fragment of flint rubble walling, 1.1m. thick, projects a metre or so into a watercress bed. According to the foreman (Mr. W. Brown, 2 Holbury Cottages, Bishop's Sutton) this was uncovered last year whilst extending the bed
At the same time a floor of concrete flint gravel was found and removed.
Whilst digging the foundations for a shed at 'B', Mr. Brown states that a large brick drain was found. (F1 VJB 11-DEC-56). (PastScape)
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
|OS Map Grid Reference||SU606322