Havering Palace

Has been described as a Certain Palace (Royal)

There are no visible remains

NameHavering Palace
Alternative NamesHavering-atte-Bower
Historic CountryEssex
Modern AuthorityLondon Borough of Havering
1974 AuthorityGreater London
Civil ParishHavering

Since Saxon times there had been a royal hunting lodge or retreat at the village of Havering which nestled high on a ridge overlooking the lower Thames valley and was surrounded by the great Forest of Essex. The residence and area was much beloved of the late Saxon King Edward the Confessor; many believe that he died at the Palace of Havering and his body taken from there to Westminster Abbey for burial. The Palace at Havering was a great favourite of Edward the Confessor, Harold Godwinson, William the Conqueror and many later kings. It was close enough to London to be convenient and far enough away to be free from the demands of government. The hunting was good and the views across the lower Thames, the wildfowl marshes of south Essex to the rolling hills of north Kent were inspiring. In 1267 the Palace, village and the park - some 16,000 acres of forest, woodland, pastures and marshes - became the property of Queen Eleanor as part of the Queen's Dower, and 'atte-Bower' was added to the name of the village. From this date onwards the Palace and Park became the property of the queens of England, but was still known as the 'King's House and Park at Havering'.

Not scheduled

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceTQ511930
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • McIntosh, Marjorie Keniston, 2002, A Community Transformed: The Manor and Liberty of Havering-atte-Bower 1500-1620 (Cambridge University Press)
  • McIntosh, Marjorie Keniston, 2002, Autonomy and Community: The Royal Manor of Havering, 1200-1500 (Cambridge University Press)
  • Thurley, Simon, 1993, The Royal Palaces of Tudor England (Yale University Press) p. 2-3, 8, 78, 79, 83, 104, 195
  • James, T.B., 1990, The Palaces of Medieval England (London; Seaby) p. 20, 78-9
  • McIntosh, Marjorie Keniston, 1986, The Royal Manor of Havering (Leicester)
  • Colvin, H.M., Ransome, D.R. and Summerson, John, 1982, The history of the King's Works, Vol. 4: 1485-1660 (part 2) (London) p. 151
  • Powell, W.R. (ed), 1979, VCH Essex Vol. 7 p. 1-22 online transcription
  • Colvin, H.M., Brown, R.Allen and Taylor, A.J., 1963, The history of the King's Works Vol. 2: the Middle Ages (London: HMSO) p. 956-9
  • Colvin, H.M., Brown, R.Allen and Taylor, A.J., 1963, The history of the King's Works, Vol. 1: the Middle Ages (London) p. 150-2 (plan)
  • RCHME, 1921, An inventory of the historical monuments in Essex Vol. 2 (central and south-west) p. 126 online transcription



  • Matthews, R., Madell, S. and Rowland, D., 21-2-1986, Essex Journal p. 27-9
  • Matthews, R., Madell, S. and Rowland, D., 19-3-1984, 'The site of Havering Palace' Essex Journal Vol. 19 p. 65-8
  • Caunt, G., 5-1-1970, 'Havering Palace' Essex Journal Vol. 5.1 p. 44-48
  • Waller, W.C., 1902, 'The Chapel at Havering atte Bower' Transactions of the Essex Archaeological Society Vol. 8 p. 105-8

Primary Sources

  • Maxwell Lyte, H.C. (ed), 1901, Calendar of Patent Rolls Henry III (1216-25) Vol. 1 p. 124-5 online copy