Kelvedon Abbots Palace

Has been described as a Possible Palace (Bishop/Other)

There are earthwork remains

NameKelvedon Abbots Palace
Alternative NamesKnights Templars Terrace; Old Red Lion; The White Lion
Historic CountryEssex
Modern AuthorityEssex
1974 AuthorityEssex
Civil ParishKelvedon

Nos. 1-5 High Street and No. 1 Church Street appear to have formed the provincial Mansion of the Abbot of Westminster. Dating to the early C16, it is a timber-framed building infilled with plaster and yellow brick, with a range of five large bays facing south-east and three rear wings of two bays, forming an E-plan. Following the Dissolution it was converted to an inn. This property was part of the manor of Church Hall, held by the Abbot of Westminster from before the Conquest until 1539, then by the Bishop of Westminster, and from 1550 by the Bishop of London. The position, size and high quality of timber and workmanship indicate that it was built for the Abbot of Westminster as a provincial mansion, continuing in similar use after the Dissolution. The manor was leased from 1553, and by 1604 the building had become a major inn called 'The White Lyon', later 'The Red Lion'. By 1791 this house and no. 7 (item 9/160) had been converted to 4 tenements, as they remain today. In a major restoration of c.1878 panelling was found bearing carvings of pomegranates, a heads, strawberry leaves and the crest of Henry VIII, now missing, and a photograph was taken of the Church Street elevation stripped to the timber framing. The brick facades and present windows and doors date from that operation. (Derived from listed building report)

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceTL859184
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Kentish, B.L., 1974, Kelvedon and its Antiquities p. 39-41 and plates 10-11
  • Morant, P.,1768, History and Antiquities of the County of Essex Vol. 2 p. 150


  • Hamilton, A., 1878, 'A description of an old inn at Kelvedon' Essex Archaeological Society Transactions Vol. 1 (new series) p. 153-8


  • 1999, Kelvedon Historic Town Assessment Report (Essex County Council) Download copy