Has been described as a Rejected Masonry Castle, and also as a Rejected Fortified Manor House
There are no visible remains
Country house constructed in 1803 on the site of an earlier house. Reputedly the site of C15 castle.
There is in the possession of the present (1893) squire a view of an old stone house (demolished in 1803 see SA 13207 ), surrounded by a moat, Elizabethan in style. It was reproduced by the late Mrs Stackhouse-Acton in her Garrisons of Shropshire (Shropshire Notes and Queries 1893).
The name Moat Wood is marked on the OS 6 (1954) immediately to the NE of Longnor Hall. Within the wood is depicted a narrow, linear, water-filled feature and a pond (OS record card). (Shropshire HER)
This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law
Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
|OS Map Grid Reference||SJ528111